Carburetors would only be found in the gas-powered pressure washers. You would not have to worry about them in an electric pressure washer. If your gas pressure washer has been siting without working for a while now, then it could have clogged carburetors sometimes. This makes it hard to start the pressure and have it working properly.
Jump to: best electric pressure washer
It can be as simple as cleaning the carburetor to get the pressure washing working great once again. It is not a complex process as you will get to see in this guide. With proper cleaning, you should now have a pressure washer that works great just as you would want.
What is the work of a carburetor?
Understanding what a carburetor does will help you also know how to clean it and maintain it properly. The carburetor is essential for ensuring that there is proper air to fuel mixture for the pressure washer to work effectively. The air to fuel ratio would be 12:1 and 15:1. You have to keep the air to fuel ratio within this sweet spot if you want the pressure washer to be effective.
Whenever the carburetor ends up being clogged, you will end up having trouble burning the fuel correctly. You might end up using a lot of fuel as compared to before.
Signs a carburetor needs cleaning
You do not have to open the carburetor before you can know if it is clogged or not. You just have to watch for some common signs. Below is a list of signs that will tell you if the carburetor is clogged or not.
- If the carburetor is clogged, then you will find the pressure washer not starting or needs a lot of effort just to start it. This is because there is no fuel and air passing through the carburetor. Check the carburetor just to make sure it is the main cause of this issue.
- When the pressure washer produces a lot of sneezing and popping sounds, then it means there is an imbalance between the air and fuel mixture. If there is no enough fuel getting through the carburetor, then the popping sounds will be present.
- Another easy way to tell of a clogged carburetor would be the black smoke coming from the pressure washer. This happens when you have more fuel in the combustion chamber than the recommended level.
- When you have a block in the carburetor, then it will lead to blocking of the fuel from going through and thus it will start to overflow in the carburetor. If you see leaks from the carburetor, it is time to unclog it.
Carburetor clogging causes
Understanding what causes the clogging goes a long way to help with preventing it from happening again. You are not to let the fuel sit in the carburetor for too long. This is what often leads to the clogging. When some of the ingredients in the fuel evaporate, you now end up with sticky substances that remain behind. These substances are what lead to clogging and engine problems.
The Cleaning Process
Below is the process you can use for cleaning your pressure washer carburetor.
- Start by removing the spark plug cap and then turn off the fuel valve. From this position it is possible to locate the carburetor.
- At this point, disconnect the gas line going to the carburetor from the gas tank. Clamp off the line to prevent fuel from leaking from the tank.
- With a socket or a nut driver, proceed to remove the carburetor from its position by unscrewing the bolts holding it down. You can now disengage the throttle cable from the carburetor at this point.
- Take the carburetor apart to start the cleaning process. Take pictures at this point to help you with the assembly process later. Using the carburetor cleaner, spray it adequately through the various parts. You should now end up with a clean carburetor at this point. Make sure not to use the cleaner on rubber parts as it might erode them.
- Rinse these parts in water and then blow them dry using an air compressor. Once the cleaning is done, proceed to assemble the carburetor before setting it back to its position.
With a clean carburetor, you should end up with a working pressure washer that helps with cleaning various surfaces efficiently. Don’t forget the best pressure washer surface cleaner if you have a large concrete, wood, or tile surface that you need to clean.